Project year: 2015
Posted: 26 Apr, 2023
Chapel, located a few miles south of Edinburgh, was founded in 1446
by Sir William St Clair as a place of worship, and to this day
functions as such, holding weekly services for the community. Our
first involvement with this prestigious and historic site was in 2013
when we met with Ian White Associates. They were trying to source
gravel that would blend in with the Chapel and the surrounding area.
extensive restoration contract on the Chapel building was near
completion, and the grounds were also in need of some repair. We were
specified to supply Scotia Pink Granite Aggregate. At that time, we
provided samples and recommended
our gravel stabilisation system, ECCOgravel. The
budget, however, did not allow for its use, and the project went
ahead using the loose aggregate.
Chapel welcomes hundreds of thousands of visitors each year, and the
loose gravel was causing problems for people with limited mobility,
wheelchair users and those with pushchairs.
a couple of years of completing the first project, we received a call
to meet with the architect and curator with a proposal to use
ECCOgravel to solve the now obvious problem of pedestrian and
wheelchair access around the Chapel.
set up a sample panel to allow the current owners, the curator and
the architect to see how our product would perform. We subsequently
got approval to install the ECCOgravel system.
were able to reuse the existing aggregate as a fill for ECCOgravel
with only a small addition for topping up, and it is still performing
exceptionally well today.
other system would be right in retaining the period look that a
gravel surface provides, and this is every bit as important as
providing a stable surface to walk and drive on.
Scotia Pink Aggregate